Wednesday, May 18, 2011

June Workshop - Power Proposals

I keep forgetting to announce this, a fact which I blame on the jackhammers and bulldozers in my front yard. But we're in the end stages of the foundation repairs *happydance* so it's time for me to get back on the ball.

In June, I'll be teaching my workshop on Power Proposals. We'll give you some insight to the submissions process and why it's set up the way it is. Yes, the game is rigged against you, but that doesn't mean you can't win. We'll look at the three parts of a proposal and the purpose of each piece. We'll look at samples and do some exercises to help you with your proposals. Like most of my workshops, it aims for a practical, step-by-step approach to the proposal process which you can apply not just to your current project, but to future projects, too.

Why take this class from me? I've been both an agent and an acquisitions editor. When you send out your proposal, someone like me will be your first reader. Slush jockeys with severe eyestrain and a crushing cases of the jadeds? Yep. The hardest reader to impress is exactly the reader you must impress.

Dates and signup information are in the blog sidebar, top right. I hope to see you there!

Theresa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would this be appropriate for any genre? Commerical Literary?

Edittorrent said...

Do you mean upmarket mainstream stuff? Yes, this will work for that. If it's more experimental litfic, stuff that really bends the medium, then parts of this will be useful, but those books tend to be pitched a little differently.

T

Anonymous said...

Yes, upmarket, thanks!