Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Time in scenes

No wisdom here, just an observation. I was reading over a scene I'd just written, and suddenly it was blazingly clear that I had a bit of a time problem.

I had Jess seeing Lisa at the precinct house, then driving from there up to his house. There he sees Lisa sitting on the stoop waiting for him. Okay, maybe she drove REALLY fast, but I wanted to have more sense of her -waiting- for him, like some time had passed while she was sitting there in the cold.

It's the noticing that matters, I realize. Once I realized that I needed her to get there at least a few minutes before he did, I just put in a line about him stopping for gas, and that was all I needed. Nothing interesting (I might replace it with something more exciting), but serviceable for the nonce!

Alicia

No comments: